Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Thoughts on my diet

There was this period of time, when sleeping at 11pm, and waking up at 7am seems like an easy task, I went crazy over clean eating, and I would prepare my own breakfast and lunch. Some people would say my lunch seems very little, some asked why do I want to torture myself, but honestly, I enjoy eating the food I prepared. Anyway I had brown rice, so I don't need to eat too much to feel full and remain full.

Then many people told me that I am being too strict on myself, and I also thought that preparing my own food is kinda time consuming..... So I started to read a lot online on different sorts of diet, there is Vegan, Paleo, Raw Vegan, vegetarian etc and each have their own set of theories on how should you eat to be healthy. However, I believe that everyone has their own "kind of body", and one type of diet may not suit everyone. So I have decided to try one of each for a month to test it for myself, to see which is the best for me.

I tried being a vegetarian for the first month, it was quite sad because there wasn't much choices and I got sick of eating the vegetarian stall in my school canteen. I thought I can eat bibimbap, but I had to remove my favorite anchovies (oh my kang hee gia!), and it's mentally torturing.

So I can't wait to switch to Paleo for the second month, for obvious reasons, because I get to eat MEAT! The main thing of this diet is to eat meat, veggies and fruits, sweet potatoes are fine but not rice or noodles. I had a hard time parting with my favorite ramen....

And lastly back to my clean eating diet. I didn't think I can go vegan for a month, because I love to drink milk, eat eggs and cheese. So I guess this try out ends at the third month, and the verdict is, I'm the happiest when I'm in my clean eating diet, and I am losing weight even without exercising as much because of exams. I usually gain weight during exams because my body just loves to store fats, if not build muscles, I usually don't lose fats unless I exercise a lot. And eating clean means I can still eat meat and things I love! But in moderation.

However, in January, I got myself a cute little holland lop (now not little anymore!) I haven't post any of our photos yet, but soon! And I started to rethink about my diet. I joined this Singaporean rabbit forum and someone posted this link, about this Danish guy killing a rabbit on a radio show, then he took it home, skinned it and cooked to eat. Of course this would cause an uproar, and people have started this petition to fire this Danish guy.

Having exposed to the media industry, I always urged people to not only read the headlines, but whole article, not trust 100% of the article but always check their sources. This Danish guy is not sick or crazy. He wanted to send a message across and it hit me really hard.

I love my rabbit, her name is Dou Dou, and because of her I love all rabbits. I love the cats sleeping at my void deck and I greet them all the time. However I am a beef lover also. This Danish guy is trying to point out this hypocritical part in people like me. I can understand if you are a person who hates animals, can't wait to kill all of them and hence you eat them happily. But I am a person who loves animals. What makes pigs, chickens and cows less valuable? Because they are not fluffy and cute? Because I don't see them walking around at my void deck?

My husband once told me he met this European girl who lives in Singapore and is a raw vegan. I can't believe how she lived in Singapore being a raw vegan. There are so many good dishes, chicken rice, pork chop, beef noodle etc., and according to my husband, she managed to survive. She didn't become a raw vegan because of her religion, but because of her love for animals. She once lived in a farm and was playing with a cow, and to her disgust saw a plate of steak for lunch that day. It changed her life. I'm sure if someone brought me to a restaurant selling stir fry rabbit meat, I would have vomited on the spot.

I'm now seriously considering to become a vegetarian, slowly changing my diet day by day. Next Monday will be my trip to Taiwan with my family for 8days, and this will be the real challenge. Food is really important to me, and I'm not sure how all these thoughts will translate into action, but I will keep updating.

No comments:

Post a Comment