Friday, May 22, 2015

Just some thoughts about FYP and schoolwork.

Recently I am starting on my FYP and I have been feeling quite sian about it.
I planned my timeline and things to do everyday, and I've gotten quite a good supervisor (heard from my friends), it is one of the topics I am interested in (on diaspora literature), yet I don't have any motivation to do it.

Some times when facing exams or assignments, I often find myself dreading these things, and it's easy to find schoolmates facing the same situation as you.

I'm not sure what went wrong, maybe it's due to my upbringing or our education system, I guess we became very focused on doing the task itself, trying to impress the teacher/lecturer, rather than getting interested on the knowledge we are gaining by doing each assignment or preparing for each exam paper.

When we were young, we kept asking our parents or older siblings many questions, our whys get ignored or scolded or swept away, but when we really had a good place to ask why we don't really raise our hands to do it. (I can write another post on this another time)

Or maybe it's because the adults kept asking the young us to stop asking why, and we grew up killing the natural curiosity that was in us.

I guess this is the main problem why I struggled so much in doing FYP.

If only I was more interested in the author, asking,
what had she been through?
why inspired her to write this story?
what is she trying to say?
what others think?
what do I think?

Perhaps, if I am curious enough, while searching the answers to these questions, a good FYP paper can be written. I still have a few more days to the next meeting with my prof, it's not too late to start searching for answers to my questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment